|Calvary Honors Thelma Allen With "Catch A Star" Award|
CALVARY HONORS THELMA ALLEN WITH "CATCH A STAR" AWARD
Bronx Resident Honored for Her Excellence as a Cancer Care Technician
BRONX, NEW YORK, July 2011 – Calvary Hospital recently honored Bronx resident, Thelma Allen, CCT, with the “Catch a Star” Award. The Hospital encourages patients, family members, visitors and employees to nominate members of the nursing staff (nurses, cancer care technicians, and administrative staff) who demonstrate the Hospital’s Core Values of Caring, Compassion, Commitment, Non-Abandonment, and Dignity through their work. Honorees are also expected to go above and beyond to make a difference, and exemplify a “healing touch” presence with patients and their families. Award recipients are chosen by their nurse administrators, peers, physicians, patients and families.
Thelma joined Calvary in 2007 as a nurse’s aide. Soon after she was accepted – and graduated -- from the Hospital’s rigorous Cancer Care Technician program.
Her nomination forms from colleagues and family members included comments such as:
- “Thelma provided exceptionally focused, detailed care and attention to detail with our mom’s care. Truly a special caregiver.”
- “She displays our core values in all her interactions. Thelma often uses her own time – while on break – to feed patients unable to do so for themselves.”
- “We appreciate the gentleness and awareness Thelma showed towards our mother as an individual and as a body with needs.”
A native of Kingston, Jamaica, Thelma resides in the Baychester section of the Bronx with her family. Before immigrating to New York approximately 15 years ago, Thelma managed a jewelry retail store and volunteered regularly at a children’s hospital in Jamaica.
Established more than 40 years ago, Calvary Hospital’s rigorous six-month training program has produced hundreds of outstanding CCTs with the necessary skills to help people with advanced cancer achieve the best possible quality of life. These talented, dedicated professionals are responsible for skin care, wound care, assistance with feeding, patient safety, and the overall comfort of Calvary Hospital patients. Our CCT program has become a national model of appropriate, cost-effective, and competent palliative care, and has helped us achieve our reputation as a “National Leader in Palliative Care.”
Pictured (left to right):
Calvary awards the Catch a Star Award for 2Q 2011 to Cancer Care Technician, Thelma Allen.
· Richard Kutilek, Chief Operating Officer;
· Fran Nunziata, Assistant Director of Human Resources;
· Thelma Allen, Cancer Care Technician (Honoree);
· Lucy Hernandez, Patient Service Manager;
· Sally Umbro, Vice President, Hospital Patient Services; and
· Michael E. Impollonia, Nursing Supervisor.
Calvary Hospital is the nation’s only fully accredited acute care specialty hospital devoted exclusively to providing palliative care to adult advanced cancer patients. A 225-bed facility with locations in the Bronx and Brooklyn, Calvary is the model for the relief of cancer pain and symptoms for more than a century. More than 5,700 patients are cared for annually by Calvary’s inpatient, outpatient, home, hospice, nursing home hospice, and wound care services. To learn more or sign up for the e-newsletter, Calvary Life, please go to www.calvaryhospital.org.