|Calvary Honors Gladys Arnau With "Catch A Star" Award|
Bronx Resident Honored for Her Professional Excellence
BRONX, NEW YORK, November 2011 – Calvary Hospital recently honored Bronx resident, Gladys Arnau, NA, with the “Catch a Star” Award. The Hospital encourages patients, family members, visitors and employees to nominate members of the nursing staff (nurses, cancer care technicians, and administrative staff) who demonstrate the Hospital’s Core Values of Caring, Compassion, Commitment, Non-Abandonment, and Dignity through their work. Honorees are also expected to go above and beyond to make a difference, and exemplify a “healing touch” presence with patients and their families. Award recipients are chosen by their nurse administrators, peers, physicians, patients and families.
Gladys has worked as a nurse’s aide since joining Calvary in 1991.
Her nomination forms from colleagues and family members included comments such as:
• “Gladys is very compassionate, caring, loving, and gentle.”
• “She treated me with respect and always listened to what I had to say.”
• “Gladys always explained the care and services that my mom was receiving; she kept me well informed on what was going on.”
• “She was very cheerful and courteous, she took care of my mom with love.”
Born in Long Island and raised in the Bronx, Gladys lives in close proximity to the hospital and is able to walk to work if desired.
Established more than 40 years ago, Calvary Hospital’s rigorous six-month training program has produced hundreds of outstanding CCTs with the necessary skills to help people with advanced cancer achieve the best possible quality of life. These talented, dedicated professionals are responsible for skin care, wound care, assistance with feeding, patient safety, and the overall comfort of Calvary Hospital patients. Our CCT program has become a national model of appropriate, cost-effective, and competent palliative care, and has helped us achieve our reputation as a “National Leader in Palliative Care.”
Calvary awards the Catch a Star Award to Gladys Arnau, NA. Pictured (left to right):
• Fran Nunziata, Assistant Director of Human Resources;
• Lucy Hernandez, RN, Senior Patient Service Manager, Nurse Practitioner;
• Gladys Arnau, NA, (Honoree);
• Marlene Humphreys, RN, Director of Staff Development; and
• Sally Umbro, Vice President, Patient Care Services.
Calvary Hospital is the nation’s only fully accredited acute care specialty hospital devoted exclusively to providing palliative care to adult advanced cancer patients. A 225-bed facility with locations in the Bronx and Brooklyn, Calvary is the model for the relief of cancer pain and symptoms for more than a century. More than 5,700 patients are cared for annually by Calvary’s inpatient, outpatient, home, hospice, nursing home hospice, and wound care services. To learn more or sign up for the e-newsletter, Calvary Life, please go to www.calvaryhospital.org.