Founded in 1899, Calvary Hospital is the nation's only fully accredited acute care specialty hospital singularly devoted to providing palliative care to adult, advanced cancer patients. Calvary's continuum of care includes inpatient care, home care, hospice, bereavement care, and extensive support programs for patients, families, and friends.
Over the years, Calvary has been recognized frequently for its outstanding and unique patient care. Some of the most recent honors include the following:
- In January 2016, The Joint Commission - the world's leading healthcare accrediting agency - awarded full accreditation and a Gold Seal of Approval™ to Calvary Hospital and Calvary@Home, our Home Care and Hospice program.
- In 2016, Press Ganey honored Calvary Hospital for the 11th consecutive year for being in the 99th percentile for patient satisfaction.
- 2012 Circle of Life Award® from the Catholic Health Association and American Hospital Association.
- The NYS End-of-Life law ensures that terminally ill people who wanted Calvary's signature care could get it, when they choose.
- The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization places Calvary@Home above state and national averages in important patient issues such as relief of pain and patient education.
- The National Cancer Institute designated Calvary Hospital as an International Center for Training in Palliative Care in recognition of our leadership in palliative care.
- The training program we received at Calvary Hospital in end-of-life care was our "finest training experience."
Trainees from the New York City Fire Department Emergency Medical Technicians.
- Under the 2016 Cures Act, Calvary Hospital was given unique national status for the care provided to our patients, ensuring consistent reimbursements through government supported healthcare programs.