Jewish Family Services Fund (JFS)
The Jewish Family Services Fund has been established to ensure Calvary Hospital is able to continue to provide industry leading supportive care services for our Jewish patients and their loved ones during their time with us at Calvary Hospital.
Calvary Hospital established the The Jewish Family Services Fund to ensure we are able to continue Calvary’s century-long sensitivity to help our Jewish patients and families receive appropriate care.
Calvary staff is knowledgeable about and sensitive to the needs of the greater Jewish community. Upon admission, every Jewish patient meets with a rabbi to learn about their personal needs directly.
THE GUIDING HAND
An Exhibition of Torah Pointers from Past and Present
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
Friends, thank you for joining us! Together we witnessed a living testimony of Jewish survival…
Calvary cares for Jewish patients and families since the hospital was founded.
Calvary applies to Memorial Scrolls Trust (England) for one of their sefer Torahs.
MST approves the request and Calvary receives no. 515. The scroll originated in 1880 from the town of Taus-Domazlice, in what is now known as the Czech Republic.
- Calvary announces collaboration with Yeshiva University’s affiliated Rabbi Isaac Elchanan
- Theological Seminary (RIETS) to educate the Jewish community about how to obtain end-of-life care that is full accordance with Halacha (Jewish Law)
- Four esteemed Roshei Yeshiva visit Calvary: Rabbi Yaakov Neuberger, Rabbi Herschel Schachter, Rabbi Moshe Tendler, and Rabbi Mordechai Willig
- We create a new position for Jewish Community Liaison
- We host ribbon cutting for our Kosher Hospitality Room at Bronx campus
- We establish relationships with Chesed 24/7 and Satmar Bikur Cholim to stock the Hospitality room
- We produce our first brochure for our care of Jewish patients and families
- Our educational campaign on Halachically Appropriate End-of-Life care wins a PRSA Big Apple Award, the first in Calvary’s history
- Calvary MST scroll is evaluated. Where there is significant damage, it is repairable
- Calvary participates in annual UJA Bikur Cholim conference in New York City
- Hospital hosts its first event to educate community Rabbis about End-of-Life care
- Calvary launches their Torah restoration campaign at the 92nd Street, with a special event at St. Joseph’s Seminary attended by His Eminence Timothy Cardinal Dolan
- Hospital hosts second educational event for community Rabbis
- Torah restoration raises more than $110,000 and Calvary dedicates restored scroll
- Calvary’s Bronx campus becomes part of the Pelham Parkway eruv
- We host third educational event for community Rabbis
- The success of our Torah restoration campaign captures two honors at the PRSA Big Apple Award
- We are asked to speak in event sponsored by Plaza Jewish Community Chapel
- We dedicate the new Mantle Cover for the Torah Scroll
- We obtain commercial refrigerator dedicated to storing kosher food for patients
- Calvary participates in annual UJA Bikur Cholim (Visiting the Sick) conference again
- Calvary’s sefer Torah (No. 515) participates in historic gathering of more than 70 Czech Scrolls at Temple Emanu-El
- We publish first Thought Leadership article on “Halachic End-of-life Care”
- Calvary participates in YU Wurzweiler School of Social Work event on “Spirituality Near the End of Life”